Saturday, February 23, 2008

Abstract Language


Or more appropriately, the language of abstraction. Last week in an acrylic class I was taking, a student showed an abstract work and said that she'd like to paint realistically instead of making scribbles like that. It was a famous painting and I was bothered by her comments. I find it harder to paint abstracts because the good ones are all generated by a language of their own. Each abstract painter must come up with their own visual language and also invent something new (never spoken or heard before.) It seems like a monumental task. After class I floated around the studio. I took some images of the art leavings, stains on the tables, pieces of floor etc. They are certainly abstract, but tell me, do they have a language that speaks to you?

No comments: