Thursday, August 19, 2010

Prismatically Yours








The Wonderful Color Wheel by Jude Stewart in Print Magazine is a fascinating look into the color universe, specifically the color wheels and systems of long ago.

In addition check out Color Lovers and the full Creation of Color in Eighteenth-Century Europe, courtesy of the guttenberg Project. Of particular interest to me, was the section on words for color.

I think that the Japanese have many words for different colors of green. It makes sense to me that a culture so interested in nature would have words like "shin ryu" which refers to the color that is the bright acid green of new leaves.

For myself, an avid painter of safety cones, I love Pyrrole Orange and Cadmium Orange and Vat orange and Alizarin Orange and Permanent Orange and Coral Orange and Scheveningen Orange and Indian Yellow Orange Lake Extra.

No comments: