Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Color Red


Last week I went to an oil color demonstration courtesy of Utrecht Art Supply. We learned about the composition of paint and how it behaves. The best tip for me was that you can mix and fill your own tubes. For a person who paints endless water, the idea of having my own tubes of water for different times of the day and depths as well as for the strange cerulean imbued flesh tone was truly exciting. Anything that speeds the work process and feeds my need to paint fast is sublime. They also showed a permanent (non-fugitive) Alizarin Crimson. It was quite lovely and I ran out and got a tube but to those who know me, they know my heart beats for Cadmium Red. Below is one of the favorite paintings I have done. "The Coca Cola Truck", it just shimmers with red.

No comments: