Monday, March 17, 2008

I was looking at the Ceiling and then I saw the Sky


"I was looking..." is the title of a combination opera and musical theatre piece by the American composer, John Adams. Based on the 1994 major earthquake in California, it uses for its title a quotation from one of the survivors. I saw a production several years ago and it came back to me with the recent tragedy in New York and this week's incident in my studio. Workmen were taking down an old water tank on the roof and one of them stepped right through my skylight. No one was injured but it left a hole to view the sky. Chunks were dropping all weekend. Today they removed the rest of the glass and hope to put in some new by next week. My light is curtailed and it seems to mirror the sadness of frailty.

No comments: