Thursday, March 5, 2009

Home is Where the Map Is...



As Artists we think a lot about mapping, whether it is in our paintings, drawings, sculptures or whatever. In addition, in one of my former jobs, I worked on the design and execution of the New York City subway and bus maps (I was lead designer for Manhattan and Staten Island as well as the guide-a-rides at the bus stops.) So it is not surprising I think a lot about maps and mapping. I've been using the web to explore this obsession, regularly visiting Google Earth (for those aerial views), Mapquest, and Google Maps and other applications like the very useful HopStop (to figure out the best subway combinations) and Street Locator (to find the cross street), and the always entertaining CrimeSpotNY. There even versions of maps that show local amenities. One thing is sure, in my neighborhood, I'll never go hungry.

I love to take photographs out of my studio window. Personal maps that are part of works in progress. Home is where the map is...

No comments: